Nachricht
Autor
Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

My 1982 Audi 100 C2 Alpine white.

#1 Beitrag von Concker »

Hello.

I am most likely picking up an 1981 Audi 100 C2 sedan on Friday.
However this car is currently registered as an Audi 100 CL 4431c2 with 115bhp

However the engine bay looks like this:

Bild

From what i can understand this is the 5E engine? with 136bhp?
From what i can find out it seems that the 115hp engine got a completely different layout, other air inlet / filter etc?

Then my question is if i can find out if this engine has been replaced or if it infact is an 5E car that has been registered wrong?
The VIN is WAU? or is it WA0 ? ZZZ43ZCN064110

Also is there any lowering springs available with TUV documention for these cars?
I cant seem to find any 1 that includes the necessary documention.

Thanks!
Zuletzt geändert von Concker am 17 Sep 2017, 18:32, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Andreas
Generaldirektor
Generaldirektor

Re: Question regarding engine and vin code.

#2 Beitrag von Andreas »

Hello,

it looks like the 5E 136Hp engine, the Type 43 with 115Hp has usually a caburator engine. But to be sure you should check the engine code. It is located on the right side of the engine where the block meets the aluminium head. Also there should also be a data sticker at the inside of the trunk lid. The 136Hp motor has the code "WC".

Where do you came from? In some countries the 5E-Engine does have lesser Horsepowers.
And the successor, the Audi 100 Type 44, does have fuel-injected 115Hp 5-cyl. Engines and also the Audi 80/90 Type 81/85 and the VW Passat/Santana 32B.
Just in case someone changed the engine in the past.

Best regards

Andreas

Michael

#3 Beitrag von Michael »

For sure it's a K-Jetronic engine as you can see the steel wire sheathed injection hoses. Carburetor engines have round pan style air filters. Please regard Andreas' hints.

Is the register really 443 1C2? This would be strange because this assigns a type 44 or C3, the successor of the C2. I don't know this register number. Maybe it's ...132 for an Audi 100 CS with 136 HP, engine code WC, gear box 3U with 5 gears, 4-door sedan, left hand drive, 08/82-07/83.

433 1C2 would assign an Audi 100 CL 5E, 115 HP, engine WE, 5 gear MQ, 08/81-07/82, 4-door sedan, lhd, Sweden.

The VIN could help to find out the configuration as supplied to customer if you ask Audi. But this would take a few Euro. Maybe you still got the sticker in the boot lid. It is WAU in your VIN, 43 is the type equal to C2, Z doen't mean anything, C is modelyear 1982, N assigns the manufacturing site Neckarsulm. The VIN of my 200 is exactly 900 cars higher, mine has 063210, the rest is completely the same. :D
Viele Grüße - Michael

"Im Auto wird nicht gegessen!" Mein Vater, ca. 1972

Audi 200 5E (437.212), 03/82, Meteor-met.
Fiat 130 Coupé (130.BC), 01/76, Blau-met.
Lancia Beta (828.CB0), 04/78, Rosso York
Toyota MR2 (W3), 05/02, Schwarz

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#4 Beitrag von Concker »

Michael hat geschrieben:For sure it's a K-Jetronic engine as you can see the steel wire sheathed injection hoses. Carburetor engines have round pan style air filters. Please regard Andreas' hints.

Is the register really 443 1C2? This would be strange because this assigns a type 44 or C3, the successor of the C2. I don't know this register number. Maybe it's ...132 for an Audi 100 CS with 136 HP, engine code WC, gear box 3U with 5 gears, 4-door sedan, left hand drive, 08/82-07/83.

433 1C2 would assign an Audi 100 CL 5E, 115 HP, engine WE, 5 gear MQ, 08/81-07/82, 4-door sedan, lhd, Sweden.

The VIN could help to find out the configuration as supplied to customer if you ask Audi. But this would take a few Euro. Maybe you still got the sticker in the boot lid. It is WAU in your VIN, 43 is the type equal to C2, Z doen't mean anything, C is modelyear 1982, N assigns the manufacturing site Neckarsulm. The VIN of my 200 is exactly 900 cars higher, mine has 063210, the rest is completely the same. :D
My bad, it is Indeed 433.
Did the 5e really come with an 115hk injected engine?
If that is the case the papers would be correct as it Indeed is an swedish car.

i tought 115hk was called 5S and where carburated only

Michael

#5 Beitrag von Michael »

Hello nameless friend! :wink:

Due to emission legislation in Sweden the WE had exhaust gas recirculation as I assume, similar to US cars. Thus the reduced power output, accidentaly the same as the 5S. The Audi 5000 had even less power (107 HP?) because the poor fuel quality required a lower compression ratio.

Did you find the sticker?
Viele Grüße - Michael

"Im Auto wird nicht gegessen!" Mein Vater, ca. 1972

Audi 200 5E (437.212), 03/82, Meteor-met.
Fiat 130 Coupé (130.BC), 01/76, Blau-met.
Lancia Beta (828.CB0), 04/78, Rosso York
Toyota MR2 (W3), 05/02, Schwarz

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#6 Beitrag von Concker »

Michael hat geschrieben:Hello nameless friend! :wink:

Due to emission legislation in Sweden the WE had exhaust gas recirculation as I assume, similar to US cars. Thus the reduced power output, accidentaly the same as the 5S. The Audi 5000 had even less power (107 HP?) because the poor fuel quality required a lower compression ratio.

Did you find the sticker?

Hello, i havent picked up the car yet. Hopefully i will do that on Friday :) so i have not looked for any stickers yet.
I Wonder how much work it is to get the swedish engine to 136hp? if they are basicly the same engine i mean.
If it is any easy way to "convert them" over to 136hp

Also thanks alot for the help :)

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#7 Beitrag von Concker »

Picked up the car yesterday and after 6hours of driving i got it home :)

Bild

Car seems ok, next to no rust etc but the engine is acting strange so it needs to be looked over.
It basically will not get the revs up, its like driving against a wall. Hard to get it past 3000rpm.
Also when cold it just stutters for the first minute before it idles correctly.

So i dont know whats wrong, if its any vacuum leaks or similar but i guess it should be something that is doable to fix :)

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#8 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hello,

well now, the sticker clearly tells us that you have got that emission reduced "WE" engine, that would deliver a little less power than the German version "WC" 136 hp. And that would be correct for the car you have bought. Less compression is due to other pistons is the major factor. Yes, it might be possible to convert it to "136 hp", but that is not wise. With some experience driving such engines you will find out the emission reduced versions run very pleasantly. If you really want a "WC" engine: Come to me, for 80 Euros you can buy a complete engine body with pistons and head ...

To find out why your car has trouble please check all vacuum connections first! The next point that I would look for is that the fuel distributor flap could be sticking due to longer time of resting.

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

Re: My 1982 Audi 100 C2 Alpine white.

#9 Beitrag von Concker »

I guess i can just change this thread into a project thread :)

So yeah, i pickup up this car in Sweden (I live in Norway)
Its very little rust on the car, so even tho its an "Swedish 5E?"
I guess its still an 5E even tho it got the swedish WE engine right?
I think its an good car to build on.

Bild

The car got typ44 seats in the front, the door sides, carpet and rear seats is not in good condition either.
The dash has cracks, but i got an crack free one with the car that i will be swapping in.
Not sure what i will do with the interior yet, i guess finding a set of good condition green C2 seats may be hard.
So i may be swapping in some newer interior with doorcards and all from an TYP44, C4 or something.
Need to take some measurements and look into it.

The driver side door is in bad condition, but i got an spare in the same color.

Bild

Time will show what i end up doing with the car, but right now i need to get it registered in Norway before i do to much on it.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

The engine runs fine, no noices etc .
Just the "problem" that i feel it is really lazy. Feels like when you put your foot down it just uses 50% of the pedal.
Need to look into it with the vacum and all.
Looked at the plugs today, seems alright color wise, maybe a tad white.
Also im not sure what plugs this car should have, it is currently NGK BP6ET
I took the distributor cap off and cleaned of the points, seems to may have helped a tiny bit, but that may just be my mind playing tricks.
The most annoying problem is that when the engine is cold it does not like to start up at all, need to have the starter run for 5-6sec before it fires and then it idles badly for the next 30 before it runs okey.
Also when driving with steady pedal is jerks alittle even tho the engine sounds like its running smooth.

Im not familiar with these engines at all so i need to read up on it and see if i can find out anything
Or get some help with people who are familiar with the Audi straight 5 engines.
The vacum part alone is a source for alot of problems from what i understand.

Anyways im thrilled to start working on the car, i guess a paint job will need to happen sometime in the future.
Along with some wider wheels. So far i have started working on the wheelhousings using some black anti rust gue.
Also think that it looks better with black wheel housings instead of white.

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#10 Beitrag von Concker »

I also want to get the decals back on the car.
Any one knows a source to buy them? Was thinking about the Audi 100 logo on the rear, and the 5E grill and rear emblem.

Or i guess i can try to get them 3d printed if any one knows the measurements of the 5E emblems?
Also i need to change out all the belts as they are very worn. Could anyone provide info / part numbers on all the belts i need, also i guess i need to replace the waterpump?

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#11 Beitrag von Concker »

Bild

Bild

And that is why is cleaver to check all fuel hoses on an old car.. :shock:
Think i found a total of 6 houses / stumps that is just as bad
Most is air from the fuel tank and overfill tubes, but i also found a small house going to one of the fuel lines
Asoon as i touched this fuel started to spill everywhere..
So not a bad idea with some new houses i think ;)

Other then that i have ordered all the engine belts, changed plugs to OEM bosch and going to flush the cooling system and put on some new liquids.
I think my engine problems may be the heat up valve thing that sits on the engine block, so i have ordered an apointment with an workshop that knows the k-jetronic stuff to do a full system check before i order new parts.
I also started to thread the wheelhouses with antirust gue, i also think its prettier with black wheelhouses as the white really gets dirty aswell as the lip is getting beaten to death by stonechips.
So i took the gue and put it all along the edges aswell to protect it even more.

The drums and calipers where also blue so they also got a quick coat of heat paint.

Bild

Bild

5E-Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Beitrag von 5E-Thomas »

When checking the hoses you should also take a look at the fuel tank, especially the hose above which is not visible at first. So it is very recommended to put the tank completely out of the car to renew everything.
Viele Grüße
Thomas

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#13 Beitrag von Concker »

5E-Thomas hat geschrieben:When checking the hoses you should also take a look at the fuel tank, especially the hose above which is not visible at first. So it is very recommended to put the tank completely out of the car to renew everything.
Its done and picked up all the hoses needed to swap out everthing. The tank itself is prestine :D
Hell my 2010 A4 allroad is browner then this car underneeth.

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#14 Beitrag von Concker »

So i got the car looked on by the Norwegian car department, it was all okey so its ready for Norwegian plates,
Just need to wait a week before the plates arrives.

I also started to try out some paint and fabric samples on the interior as its pretty much just a green gue with spots as it is right now..
So i tried some vinyl primer and paint, aswell as found a gray fabric that has almost the exact same pattern as original.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

I think it looks quite decent, but maybe a bit to shiny for my taste.
So i tried with the softest pad i could find to sand it a little to remove some of the shine.
Turned out pretty good on the trim around the windows, not leaving any scratch marks.

Not easy to show on a picture but you can see the shine difference here:

Bild

So i have taken apart the spare dashboard that i have and i will try some paint and sanding on that to see how it turns out :)

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#15 Beitrag von Concker »

About time for an update.
Got the dash painted together with the other door, a pillars and other small parts completing the front section of the interior.

Bild

Also finished up the new stereo system, water, oil and voltage gauges.

Bild

Bild

Also picked up some really cheap seats from an 2014 Mazda CX5.. yeah i know what you are thinking but the interior in this Audi is mold eaten, smelly and ready to be burned..
So as an solution to this i am going to try to modify these seats into the car as an not permanent solution until i can get my hands on a better set of oem seats that i can redo.
The current ones are just to far gone + i am missing the correct front seats as my car came with typ 44 in the front.

Bild

I Also replaced the WUR, and set the timing correctly and now the car runs perfectly when above 40C, cold start is still not working properly so need to look into that later.
However after i replaced the fuel lines i have an issue where i really cant fill the car up with gasoline anymore. It just fills up the filling tube and splashes out.
I have checked the connections to the gravity filter in the rear according to my workshop manual and it seems correct so i dont really understand what the problem is.. seems like the tank aint breathing properly and i dont think the tubes are blocked up as the hoses are brand new and there is no rust or even paint chips on the filler tube or the tank it self.. strange.

Antworten