Typ43

Das offizielle Forum der Audi 100/200 Typ43-IG - Datenschutzhinweise auf der Homepage:
Deutsche Flagge Schweizer Flagge Österreichische Flagge Finnische Flagge Belgische Flagge Schwedische Flagge Norwegische Flagge Lettische Flagge Dänische Flagge Luxemburgische Flagge Niederländische Flagge Ungarische Flagge Französische Flagge Polnische Flagge Britische Flagge Spanische Flagge Südafrikanische Flagge Russische Flagge US-Flagge
Willkommen im Forum der Audi 100/200 - Typ43 - IG!
We would also like to extend a very warm welcome to all our foreign friends!
Nous souhaitons (également) la bienvenue aux internautes d'ailleurs.
Aktuelle Zeit: 18 Aug 2018, 01:07

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00

Ein neues Thema erstellen  Auf das Thema antworten  [ 93 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige 13 4 5 6 7
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Audi 100 GL - Serbia
BeitragVerfasst: 18 Feb 2018, 13:07 
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

Actually it's around 80000th (29x29 letters x 100 numbers) :D

I've never had a shred of doubt about going on a long trip with my Typ43. I've even felt more confident than in a modern car, where if an electronic component decides to die on you, you're stranded. Basically my checklist is as follows:

1. Ensure that all major things are tip-top, so that your head gasket doesn't blow on the road, your wheel doesn't fall off :D , or something as catastrophic as that. Everything else can be resolved.
2. Know your car well. Be comfortable performing some minor repairs on it, so you can do it on the side of the road. I guarantee that no decently maintained Typ 43 can encounter an on-the-road defect that cannot be resolved within an hour if you know what you're doing.
3. Know what can fail, and have those parts with you. For me it's the commutator (the only thing that can die unexpectedly and leave you stuck), an extra set of ignition leads, voltage regulator, some grease, bottle of engine oil, etc. I also carry a few spare pieces of hose and clams, just in case.
4. WIRE WIRE WIRE. Always have wire in your old car, for me this is as important as having a spare tire. Have both types - electric wire and regular steel wire. The first can save you if something goes due to old age (a wire leading to your engine fan becomes brittle and cracks, for example), and the second is good in keeping things together for a short while. I had a situation where a brass pipe on my Wartburg's cooler (the one that leads to the expansion bottle) simply broke off and the car began loosing coolant. I managed to isolate it with some waterproof tape and keep it in place with a piece of wire until I got home.

I'm planning a trip to Sweden to Power Big Meet this summer, in my 1970 Cadillac. Same precautions as above, and I hope we'll be fine :)

BeitragVerfasst: 03 Mai 2018, 14:45 
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

I have to share this picture - the look on my friend's kid (who has the same name as me) while I attempt to start my C1 - priceless :)

Bild

Anyway, I practically decided to give up on ever restoring it, even had it up for sale, but after this, I decided to chase an old lead the very next day, and after some searching and some negotiating, I left a deposit for this:

Bild

1969, registered up until 3 years ago before being left at the junkyard by original owner who was 94 years old at the time. It has a column shifter, original carpets, good front bumper, good electrical instalation (problem with mine), better weatherstrip seals, and it runs and brakes, which is great since I'll be able to use most parts off of it. New front fenders can be purchased with the car, which is awesome as I prefer the 1st series look. Hopefully I'll have it home this weekend, and send the Zweiturer to the body shop next week.

BeitragVerfasst: 07 Mai 2018, 09:28 
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

Bild

I got the parts car home! I've also made arrangements with the bodywork shop, and the work on the 2-door starts this week. I've decided against the original 2nd series look, so the kotflugel, hood, and front panel will be transferred from the parts car. We'll also take the column shifter from it.

Interestingly, my grandfather had the first Audi 100 in Sabac back in the 70s, and it was a white 4-door C1. He always said it was the best car he ever owned, and only Fiat 132 could outrun him in the straights, but not in the curves :D

Ein neues Thema erstellen  Auf das Thema antworten  [ 93 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige 13 4 5 6 7

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00