Nachricht
Autor
Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker
Re: Audi 100 GL - Serbia

#91 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

Actually it's around 80000th (29x29 letters x 100 numbers) :D

I've never had a shred of doubt about going on a long trip with my Typ43. I've even felt more confident than in a modern car, where if an electronic component decides to die on you, you're stranded. Basically my checklist is as follows:

1. Ensure that all major things are tip-top, so that your head gasket doesn't blow on the road, your wheel doesn't fall off :D , or something as catastrophic as that. Everything else can be resolved.
2. Know your car well. Be comfortable performing some minor repairs on it, so you can do it on the side of the road. I guarantee that no decently maintained Typ 43 can encounter an on-the-road defect that cannot be resolved within an hour if you know what you're doing.
3. Know what can fail, and have those parts with you. For me it's the commutator (the only thing that can die unexpectedly and leave you stuck), an extra set of ignition leads, voltage regulator, some grease, bottle of engine oil, etc. I also carry a few spare pieces of hose and clams, just in case.
4. WIRE WIRE WIRE. Always have wire in your old car, for me this is as important as having a spare tire. Have both types - electric wire and regular steel wire. The first can save you if something goes due to old age (a wire leading to your engine fan becomes brittle and cracks, for example), and the second is good in keeping things together for a short while. I had a situation where a brass pipe on my Wartburg's cooler (the one that leads to the expansion bottle) simply broke off and the car began loosing coolant. I managed to isolate it with some waterproof tape and keep it in place with a piece of wire until I got home.

I'm planning a trip to Sweden to Power Big Meet this summer, in my 1970 Cadillac. Same precautions as above, and I hope we'll be fine :)

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#92 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

I have to share this picture - the look on my friend's kid (who has the same name as me) while I attempt to start my C1 - priceless :)

Bild

Anyway, I practically decided to give up on ever restoring it, even had it up for sale, but after this, I decided to chase an old lead the very next day, and after some searching and some negotiating, I left a deposit for this:

Bild

1969, registered up until 3 years ago before being left at the junkyard by original owner who was 94 years old at the time. It has a column shifter, original carpets, good front bumper, good electrical instalation (problem with mine), better weatherstrip seals, and it runs and brakes, which is great since I'll be able to use most parts off of it. New front fenders can be purchased with the car, which is awesome as I prefer the 1st series look. Hopefully I'll have it home this weekend, and send the Zweiturer to the body shop next week.

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#93 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

Bild

I got the parts car home! I've also made arrangements with the bodywork shop, and the work on the 2-door starts this week. I've decided against the original 2nd series look, so the kotflugel, hood, and front panel will be transferred from the parts car. We'll also take the column shifter from it.

Interestingly, my grandfather had the first Audi 100 in Sabac back in the 70s, and it was a white 4-door C1. He always said it was the best car he ever owned, and only Fiat 132 could outrun him in the straights, but not in the curves :D

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#94 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

I'm in a weird situation right now :|

I needed the left wing for my C1 project, and I stumbled upon a guy in Belgrade who has a C1 sitting in a shed for around 15 years, and additionally has both wings in good condition. I offered him 150 EUR for the left wing, he said no dice, will only sell with the car, which I've only seen under a bunch of stuff in the dark shed, and which I don't really need. Fast forward a couple of months, I called him to see if he changed his mind, and long story short, I bought both wings + the car for EUR 500 :lol:

I figured, great, another parts car, I can also take the front panel so that the bodywork guy doesn't have to fix mine, and bumpers, hubcaps and other details might be in good condition. Went to get the car tonight, and it's too good to dismantle for parts!! Body is very solid, interior (except the dashboard and Yugo gearbox lever) is very nice, and engine runs! So now I don't really know what to do. I'm not able to work on it right now, and on the other hand I don't really want to part it out. We'll see.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

WJ-Freak

#95 Beitrag von WJ-Freak »

Wow, the green one looks quite good.
I've seens some cars that were sitting for a long time, most of them did not survive due to corrosion.
Your car looks much better. No waste in the interiour, seems to be complete. :up:
Look for a dry place and keep the car!

And yes, I know the problems with increasing number of cars. :?
At the beginning, I searched for the cars. At the end, the cars were searching me... :P
Gruß Jörg (WJ-Freak)
---OOOO---

1979 Audi 100 CD 5E diamantsilber "WJ Prototyp No 17"
1979 Audi 100 CD 5E colibrigrün
1979 Audi 5000 S fuelinjection alpinweiß
1980 Audi 200 5E diamantsilber
1980 Audi 200 5T kupfer
1981 Audi 200 5T diamantsilber
1981 Audi 200 5T meteormetallic
1982 Audi 5000 turbo lhasametallic
1982 Audi 5000 turbo diesel gobimetallic
1982 Audi 200 turbo alpinweiß
1984 Audi 4000 S quattro montegoschwarz
1990 Audi 100 turbo quattro "Sport"

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#96 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Congrats, welcome to the club!

Indeed it would be shame to cut such a car apart. Best idea is to restore to one with the best body and put your other jewels to a dry place. In some years you will be glad you have saved it/them.

One of my c1 has been waiting 20 years in my garage until my son was grown up and had decided he wants to restore it. Soon it will be back on the road. Many years ago my plan was to part it out but I never found the time to do it, fortunately.

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#97 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

I'd like to publicly thank @Old Rusty who not only waited several months for me to arrange transportation for the sunroof, but also threw in some extra parts for free. You rock!!!

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#98 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Uros,

you are very welcome, thank you. The arrangement of transportation was exactly on time and the driver is a very friendly guy. If you need something else please let me hear!

Regards,
Joerg
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#99 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

We're finally back from the paint shop :D

Bild

200T
VAG-Händler
VAG-Händler

#100 Beitrag von 200T »

Very nice picture :up:

Kaiser Soze
Chef-Mechaniker
Chef-Mechaniker

#101 Beitrag von Kaiser Soze »

I saw the posting around 20:45 last night, got in my car around 21:05, and bought it at 22:00 :)

Bild

1983 C3 with the 1921 ccm WH engine to resolve all issues I've been having with my C2 (especially the one with the Keihin). The plan is to pull the engine and the gearbox out of the car, along with some goodies since it's in CD trim, and scrap the rest. It's also registered until August, so I can even use it as a daily beater for a few months.

Antworten