Nachricht
Autor
grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

Re: 5000 Turbodiesel in Schwarz

#16 Beitrag von grillage »

Hi all, I bought this car last weekend.

It had been bought through the eBay auction - presumably as an offer after the reserve not met - and the owner quickly listed it again after not finding anyone who could work on it.

It needs some love after sitting for what appears to be quite some time.
The engine smokes quite a bit and seems down on power even for the low power this should be producing. I have a set of new injectors and glow plugs on the way to hopefully solve that issue.

The front windows didn’t work but I was able to get them back up and running by simply cleaning the contacts on the connectors to the window regulators.

Anyway, I’m very happy with the car. I have had a lot of older Audis - but this is the oldest I’ve gotten my hands on.

From google translate:
Hallo zusammen, ich habe dieses Auto letztes Wochenende gekauft.

Es war über die eBay-Auktion gekauft worden - vermutlich als Angebot, nachdem der Mindestbetrag nicht erreicht worden war - und der Besitzer hat es schnell wieder eingestellt, nachdem er niemanden gefunden hatte, der daran arbeiten konnte.

Es braucht etwas Liebe, nachdem es scheinbar eine ganze Weile gesessen hat.
Der Motor raucht ziemlich viel und scheint selbst für die geringe Leistung, die er erzeugen sollte, an Leistung zu verlieren. Ich habe einen Satz neuer Injektoren und Glühkerzen auf dem Weg, um dieses Problem hoffentlich zu lösen.

Die vorderen Fenster funktionierten nicht, aber ich konnte sie wieder zum Laufen bringen, indem ich einfach die Kontakte an den Anschlüssen zu den Fensterhebern säuberte.

Ich bin jedenfalls sehr zufrieden mit dem Auto. Ich hatte viele ältere Audis – aber das ist der älteste, den ich in die Finger bekommen habe.

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#17 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hi,

great to hear that stylish classic has got a new home at last! Cars usually don't get better from being on sale forever. Putting the aspect into consideration that you are dealing with something that is about 40 years old it is no wonder some parts need attention.

You just mentioned the injectors: It should make quite a difference to have fresh ones installed. A leaking injector can ruin not only performance but the engine itself. Check the age and condition of the timing belts, set the injection timing correctly and that's it!

Talking about the power windows one should know the design was neither simple nor bullet proof. I had one of these cars when they were new and trouble was common, got three window motors replaced on warranty then. One day the senior mechanic of the Audi dealer told me how to avoid further issues: After closing a window when you let the motor wind it up until it stops please push the button to open the window once shortly, just for a fraction of a second: Thus you relief tension from the motor and the gear and this will help prevent seizing.

On restoring my car all window motors got cleaned and the gears freshly greased, all connectors and switches got cleaned, too. From today's point of view I can say I have nay trouble with the power windows any more.

Good luck with that black beauty, keep pride in it!

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#18 Beitrag von grillage »

Thanks Joe! The windows moved great as soon as I put 12v to them so I was happy to just clean the connections and reinstall. Same with the sunroof.

I am pretty sure there is an injector issue now as the running is smoky and sounds like a bit of a knock. I’ll do the belts as well as soon as I can get my garage free. I have a 944 on the lift and a 928S to get back together - or at least the 944. It’s almost back together anyway.

I’ve half a mind to just pull the engine and just re-build it completely but that will slow things down.

Thanks again
Ben

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#19 Beitrag von grillage »

I put new injectors in the car this morning hoping that would solve the smoke and poor power condition - it didn’t

Also, did a compression test while I had them out and while I found 16-20 bar impressive, it’s apparently quite a bit below the wear limit on the engine.

Looks like a full rebuild is in this engine’s future

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#20 Beitrag von grillage »

Bild

roemerjung
VAG-Händler
VAG-Händler

#21 Beitrag von roemerjung »

Awesome, good luck repairing the black beauty!
1979 Audi 5000 S Fuel-Injection Autom.
1983 Mercedes-Benz 380SL

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#22 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hi,

you seem to have a well equipped workshop and a lot of tools, that's a good start. If you are used to cope with 928 Porsche's badly crammed engine compartment that Audi 5000 will be no big challenge at all. I have found it very useful to have a Bentley's or at least Haynes Manual at hand all the time. If you have got one of these few things can go wrong. Good luck!

BTW: Where are you located?

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#23 Beitrag von grillage »

Hi Joe,

I'm in Cincinnati Ohio

I have the top end of the engine at a machine shop for a valve job and I have the bottom end rebuilt in my garage ready for reassembly. I sent the turbo out and had it rebuilt as well and am hoping that things go back together smoothly!

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#24 Beitrag von grillage »

Some progress:

Got everything back from rebuild:
Bild
Bild

reassembly in process:
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

220v
Seniorchef
Seniorchef

#25 Beitrag von 220v »

Moin!
Das sieht sehr gut aus 8) :up:

Gruß Axel

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#26 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hi Ben,

that's awesome! The right way to have a well performing engine after all! One question, please: It is well known the exhaust manifolds on these turbo engines tend to develop cracks or bend by the time (sometimes due to not giving the engine some minutes at idle or low load after a demanding ride to cool down). Did you have the manifold checked properly or even the port surface machined? Or do you have a new manifold installed?

Regards, Joe

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#27 Beitrag von grillage »

Hi Joe, I did not check for Exhaust manifold cracks. I did look it over but didn't see anything. I hope to have it back up and running by the end of the weekend! the one thing I didn't do is have the pump rebuilt, but I can always pull that off if needed now that I know how to time these things

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#28 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Yes, the pump is located quite conveniently at this type of engine. Good luck! We are looking forward to hearing of your "maiden run" results!

Joe

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

grillage
Praktikant
Praktikant

#29 Beitrag von grillage »

Not good news I'm afraid.

Still runs like crap. I'm thinking the pump needs reconditioning so I'm going to send to Giles I think

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#30 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hi Ben,

I forgot to ask about a point that is frequently overlooked when dealing with diesels: The diesel fuel injectors! These have to be set to a precisely defined opening pressure (I would have to look it up for the DE turbo diesel), they must not leak (drop by drop ...) when closed, and, after all, they ought to give a decent spray cone in the act. Thus it is recommended to renew the nozzle inserts every 100,000 or so and have the injectors checked on a test stand.

As I do not have that test facility I am used to give injectors of my diesels to a friend who is a farm tractor engine master mechanic. He would set and check every injector to factory condition. So, my question is now: What's about your injectors? Did they get some care?

Regards, Joe

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

Antworten